19 new grants and 11 renewals for the 2022-2023 grant period
This year saw the fifth successful "Filling the Gap" call for proposals for the 2022-2023 funding period.
Of the 46 new applications submitted, 19 will be funded, 1 7of which will be women physicians. Of the 13 renewal applications submitted, 11 will be funded, 10 of which will be women physicians.
Congratulations to the newly funded and renewed Physician Scientists and best wishes for success and momentum in their respective research projects!
The next funding period will start on January 1, 2024, and applications are expected to open in spring 2023.
Filling the Gap
Scope and Structure
Filling the Gap is a 2-year career development program. It is designated to talented physician scientists and aims to provide them with the opportunity to advance their research activity, which is considered to be an essential part of every physician’s or dentist’s academic career.
The program comprises 3 main pillars:
- Planning: Personalized career planning together with the department chair.
- Mentoring: Appointment of a mentor to support and supervise the applicant’s career.
- Financial support: Paid protected research time (20% to 50% per year).
Filling the Gap is based on the Gender Equality Action Plan by the University of Zurich. A main goal is to increase the number of women professors in the Faculty of Medicine as well as the proportion of women in academic leadership positions. Therefore, the Faculty of Medicine strongly encourages eligible women candidates to apply.
- Eligible applicants should be employed as clinically active physicians or dentists at
- one of the University’s hospitals
- one of the affiliated academic hospitals of the University of Zurich
- the Center of Dental Medicine
- a clinic or institute with clinical activity at the University of Zurich
- Applicants must hold a doctoral degree (Dr. med. and / or MD-PhD)
- At the time of application, eligible applicants are employed as clinicians (minimum of 50% of their total workload) and should remain clinically active throughout the whole funding period (at least 20% absolute).
- If applicants at the time of application already have protected research time provided by another program or the host institution, support through Filling the Gap will not exceed a maximum match of 100%.
The evaluation of the applicant is based on her/his academic potential:
- Applicant’s qualifications
- Quality of the proposed project
- Suitability of the applicant for this particular career development program
The review process consists of a two-step procedure:
- The application will be reviewed by an external expert as well as by the evaluation committee of Filling the Gap.
- Eligible candidates will be invited for an interview, during which they present their project to members of the evaluation committee and answer their questions.
On behalf of the Faculty Council the committee then decides which applicants will be supported.