Table of contents
Scope and Structure
Filling the Gap has been designed as a 2-year career development program. Filling the Gap is designated to talented physician scientists and aims to provide them with the opportunity to advance their research activity, which is considered to be an essential part of every physician’s or dentist’s academic career. The program comprises 3 main pillars:
- Planning: Personalized career planning together with the department chair.
- Mentoring: Appointment of a mentor to support and supervise the applicant’s career.
- Financial support: Paid protected research time (20% to 50% per year).
Filling the Gap is based on the Gender Equality Action Plan by the University of Zurich. A main goal is to increase the number of women professors in the Faculty of Medicine as well as the proportion of women in academic leadership positions. Therefore, the Faculty of Medicine strongly encourages eligible women candidates to apply.
- Eligible applicants should be employed as clinically active physicians or dentists at
- one of the University’s hospitals
- one of the affiliated academic hospitals of the University of Zurich
- the Center of Dental Medicine
- a clinic or institute with clinical activity at the University of Zurich
Medical/dental students are eligible to apply if they are in their last year of medical/dental school and if they have already been given a prospective appointment at one of the above mentioned hospitals, institutes or clinics.
- At the time of application, eligible applicants are employed as clinicians and should remain clinically active throughout the whole funding period (minimum of 50% of their total workload). Due to that fact an at least 70% clinical activity of the total workload is mandatory to be able to apply. Medical/dental students need a prospective appointment with an at least 70% clinical activity of their total workload to be able to apply.
- If applicants at the time of application already have protected research time provided by another program or the host institution, support through Filling the Gap will not exceed a maximum match of 100%.
Evaluation criteria and review process
- Applicant’s qualifications
- Quality of the proposed project
- Suitability of the applicant for this particular career development program
The application will be reviewed by an external expert as well as by the evaluation committee of Filling the Gap. On behalf of the Faculty Council the committee then decides which applicants will be granted.
A few excellent research projects in the field of internal medicine are funded by the Walter und Gertrud Siegenthaler Stiftung.
Filling the Gap” grant period 2020 – 2021; call for proposals 2019
All relevant information and instructions regarding the call can be found here: Call for proposals 2019 (PDF, 50 KB).
1. Application: Requested Documents
- Completed application form (DOCX, 113 KB), signed by both the applicant and her/his department chair.
- Excel spreadsheet regarding the financial budget (XLSX, 13 KB) of the protected research time.
- Applicant’s current CV in English and WITHOUT a photograph: Maximum of 2 pages, start with the most recent position. Please indicate if career is non-linear and provide justification (e.g., long absence due to illness, family commitments etc.).
- List of publications
If you don’t have any publications yet, please insert a single page with the note “I do not have any publications at this point”
- Copies of relevant diplomas (graduation, dissertation, board certification). For medical students: copy of the 5th year’s confirmation («Wahlstudienjahr»).
Please submit the documents in the above listed order as one compiled, single pdf file (maximum size: 10 MB). Otherwise your application will not be considered for evaluation.
2. Deadline and submission
Deadline: June 2nd 2019, 23:59 Swiss local time.
Please send your application to: email@example.com