Scope and structure
Filling the Gap aims to support the academic career of (future) physician scientists working at one of the University's hospitals, the affiliated academic hospitals, the Center of Dental Medicine or other institutes of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Zurich during a period of two years. The program enables talented physician scientists to conduct research activities, which are fundamental for their academic careers.
Filling the Gap is based on the Gender Equality Action Plan 2013-2016 of the University of Zurich. The Faculty of Medicine invites especially highly qualified female researchers to apply to the program.
The Program is based on three pillars:
- Planning: Personalized career planning together with the department chair
- Mentoring: Appointment of a mentor to supervise the applicant’s career
- Financial support: Paid protected research time of 20% to 50% per year
The program also takes into account important aspects relating to the conciliation of the clinical and academic career with family duties and private life.
- You are in the last year of medical studies or already a physician scientist
- You are employed – or have a future appointment - as clinician and are at least 70% of your total workload clinically active at one of the University's hospitals, one of the affiliated academic hospitals, the Center of Dental Medicine or other institutes of the Faculty of Medicine
- You are committed to develop an academic career
- You would like to conduct your research activities simultaneously with your clinical practice
A few excellent research projects in the field of internal medicine are now funded by the Walter und Gertrud Siegenthaler Stiftung.
January 1, 2018 - December 31, 2019
A call for proposals for the funding period 2020 - 2021 is expected to take place in spring 2019.